Systems Engineer (Cloud, ITIL, AWS, Linux)
Posted Jun 10
HM Revenue and Customs
Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom
This employer requests that only candidates in United Kingdom apply to this job.
You appear to be located in United States, not United Kingdom, so you will not be able to apply for this job.
Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux) - Cloud Delivery Group
With 60000+ staff and 50m customers HMRC is one of the biggest organisations in the UK, running the largest digital operation in Government and one of the biggest IT estates in Europe. We have six modern, state-of-the-art digital delivery centres where multiple cross functional agile teams thrive in one of the most dynamic and innovative environments in the UK. We are expanding our Cloud Delivery Group and are recruiting into a number of posts within the Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Service in Telford.
This is an exciting opportunity to join HMRC's Cloud Delivery Group (CDG) where you will be working across one of the biggest IT estates in Europe and supporting a large scale and radical transformation that will have a profound impact for both the customers and the staff of HMRC. As part of the Development, Test and Operate (DTO) Directorate, the Cloud Development team is responsible for translating overarching IT strategy into the technical architecture for CDG. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced Technical Architect to work within HMRC's Cloud domain during a time of significant change and transformation as HMRC drives the focus of IT delivery away from product centric solutions and fully exploits the opportunities that Digital Services and Data Analytics can provide. This position will play a key role in supporting Delivery Groups with the creation and execution of technology roadmaps that will drive HMRC's hugely complex IT estate towards a smaller set of strategic systems whilst decommissioning a large proportion of the legacy.
Role Requirements for the Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux)
The Cloud Systems Engineering team are responsible for the development of Cloud tooling and environments for the Cloud Delivery Group that make up service offerings consumed both internally (within the boundaries of CDG) and externally (service offerings made available to the rest of the IT Department). We are therefore looking for a seasoned Systems Engineer with a solid background in Hosting and Cloud technology. Candidates should have experience working on large enterprise estates designing and implementing physical and virtual infrastructure, associated management and deployment tooling.
This is a dynamic and changing environment and so we're looking for someone who's up for working in an ever changing technology landscape that is centred on Cloud.
Accountabilities of the Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux):
• Design and develop tooling, products and solutions for the Cloud Delivery Group at the direction of the Product Owners.
• Liaise with CTO and Product Owners to deliver engineering roadmaps showing key items such as upgrades, technical refreshes and new versions;
• Review and ensure conformance of tooling test plans to meet expected quality standards;
• Work as part of a technical team in a collaborative and innovative way, developing CDG products and services;
• Be accountable for personal development and training.
• Work with Senior Systems Engineer to develop tooling design.
• Develop knowledge of cloud provider roadmaps and maintain proficiency in industry technologies and trends.
• Implement new capabilities into the CDG offerings and service catalogues.
• Advise on engineering standards, procedures, methods, tools and techniques.
• Contribute to reviews and audits of projects from an engineering perspective.
• Contribute to the assessment and validation of engineering risk.
• Engage in knowledge transfer across CDG
• Engage in continuous improvement to improve CDG performance.
• Conduct personal professional development to keep up to date on new technologies.
Essential Criteria of the Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux) role
You will need to demonstrate within your application the following essential experience -
• A good understanding and working knowledge of Public Cloud offerings (AWS, Azure etc.).
• The ability to script and automate all activities in Hyperscale Cloud.
• Solid experience of working with Linux and Microsoft Server Operating Systems.
• Domain and Administration technologies (Active Directory) and designs.
• Backup, Anti-Virus, Monitoring (ELK, Splunk, Grafana etc.).
• Demonstrate an ability to communicate across IT disciplines to get the best solution and ensure nothing gets overlooked that could jeopardise performance or the integrity of the existing IT estate.
• Able to work effectively in pressurised situations and can be relied upon to deliver, irrespective of circumstances.
• Able to work in highly ambiguous situations and without supervision
• The successful applicant for this role will need to be eligible for and willing to undergo SC clearance following appointment in to the post.
Desirable Experience for the Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux)
• A good understanding or working knowledge of Container technologies such as Docker.
• A good understanding or working knowledge of the following tools: Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, and Terraform.
• Experience of working in an agile environment and experience with agile methodologies such as TDD, Scrum, Kanban.
• Solid experience of developing DNS across Cloud providers.
• Backup, Anti-Virus, Monitoring (ELK, Splunk, Grafana etc.) specific to Hyperscale Cloud.
• Experience or awareness of ITIL ways of working.
Key leadership behaviours of the Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux)
• Changing and Improving
• Leading and Communicating
• Delivering at Pace
To apply for the role of Cloud Systems Engineer (Design, Developer, ITIL, AWS, Linux), please click apply now button.
Employment Type: Permanent
Pay: 49,875 to 55,125 GBP (British Pound)
Pay Period: Annual
Other Pay Info: £49,875 - £55,125